The Dunkirk, Warren and Pittsburgh Railroad (1867 – 1870) and Dunkirk, Warren and Pittsburgh Railway (1870 – 1872) were predecessors of the Dunkirk, Allegheny Valley and Pittsburgh Railroad that run through Chautauqua County from Dunkirk to Fentonville, NY.
History
One of the earliest railroad projects planned west of the Allegheny River was proposed by the people of Warren, PA to build a road north of that town following the valley of the Conewango Creek. A charter was granted by the state of Pennsylvania in 1832 or 1833, but the project never left the planning stage. In 1853 the project was revived by the people of Warren and 1700 shares of stock were subscribed to build the Warren Pine Grove Railroad.
The first effective move toward building this road was a meeting held in the summer of 1866 when the citizens of Sinclairville, led by the Hon. C. J. Allen, met to plan a railroad. Further meeting were held in Sinclairville, Dunkirk, and Fredonia and in early 1867 the Dunkirk, Warren and Pittsburgh Railroad was organized. An act of the New York State Legislature on April 23, 1867 authorized the company to issue stock and the towns along the route provided $238,000 in capital for the endeavor. On June 17, 1867 work began on the road as the route from Cassadaga Lake to Dunkirk was surveyed by Obed Edson. Grading for the road commenced on October 3, 1867 at Ross’ Mills. The road was graded between 1867 and 1869.
In 1870, the Dunkirk, Warren and Pittsburgh Railroad merged with the Conewango Valley Railway (a Pennsylvania railroad) to form the Dunkirk, Warren and Pittsburgh Railway (note the change from “Railroad” to “Railway”). This company laid track south from Dunkirk to Laona in 1870. By June 1, 1871 it had reached Sinclairville and by June 17, 1871 to Falconer. The first passenger train ran over the line on June 22, 1871. The railroad extended 54.5 miles from Dunkirk to Warren, PA.
On December 31, 1872, the Dunkirk, Warren and Pittsburgh Railway combined with the Warren and Venango Railroad to form the Dunkirk, Allegheny Valley and Pittsburgh Railroad. The company was leased to the New York Central and Hudson River Railroad on January 3, 1873 though it continued to operate under its own identity for many years. It was merged into the New York Central Railroad on December 23, 1914.
Stations in New York
Dunkirk * Fredonia * Laena (AKA Laona) * Nortons * Lakeside * Lily Dale * Cassadaga * Moons * Sinclairville * Vermont/Gerry * Ross’ Mill * Falconer * A. & G. W. Junction * Frewsburg * Fentonville